Madras ICON 2021, the 68th annual conference of Tamil Nadu Ophthalmic Association (TNOA) was a first-of-its-kind, a hybrid conference (2 days virtual and one day physical participation). The event was held over 3 days and was attended by our elite consultants from varied ophthalmic sub-specialities.
- Dr. T. S. Surendran was the Chairman of the Paediatric Ophthalmology Session and spoke on “Overview of Strabismus.” The co-chairperson was Dr. S. Meenakshi, with Dr. Kavitha Kalaivani as the moderator. Dr. T. S. Surendran spoke on the topic: “Let us make it straight, Can we? – Tailored approach to strabismus management.” Dr. Meenakshi Swaminathan spoke on the topic: “Shaky eyes – what can we treat in nystagmus.” Dr. Kavitha Kalaivani spoke on the topics: “What’s next after cataract surgeries- end is not the end” and “Interesting cases.”
- The free paper titled “Clinical features and outcomes of pediatric traumatic cranial nerve palsies (FP 446)” presented by Dr Akshya. P (Dr AYP ) and coauthored by Dr. Muthumeena Muthumalai (Dr MMI) was adjudged as the First Runner-Up among free papers in Pediatric Ophthalmology in TNOA.
- Dr. Vineet Ratra performed a cataract surgery live as part of the “Challenging scenarios in cataract surgery” – video symposium.
- Dr. Sonam Nisar spoke on the topic: “Advances in Oculoplasty: Do all Mucor need exenteration: indications and surgical steps” as part of the Advances in Oculoplasty session.
- Dr. Rama Rajagopal was the co-chairman of the Cornea symposium and also spoke on the topic: “Ocular surface tumours.”
- Dr. Meena Lakshmipathy spoke on the topic, “Infectious keratitis – taming the tide” and Dr. Sudhir R. R. spoke on the topic of “Managing post PRK haze.”
- Dr. L. VIjaya was the chairperson of the Glaucoma symposium and delivered a talk on “Role of lens in glaucoma-yes clear lens extraction an option and Dr. Ronnie George spoke on “Glaucoma medication – start early lower fewer better.”
- Dr. Jyotirmay Biswas was the chairperson of the Uvea symposium and gave a talk on Uveitis search for the cause. He also chaired a session on Journal and gave keynote address on “Uveitis Research and publications – My journey and way forward”. He delivered a talk “Practical pearls in Uveitis” in the virtual session titled “Uveitic pearls from the bosses.” Dr Sudharshan was the moderator of the virtual session.
- Dr. Sudharshan S moderated the in-person session titled “Uvea – Utopia.” He also spoke on the topic: “Pattern recognition in uveitis.”
- Dr. Parthopratim Dutta Majumder spoke on the topic: “Beyond Steroids.”
- Dr. Vidhya Dharani D. M. gave a talk on the topic, “Sudden Vision Loss,” which was part of Neuro-Ophthalmology Nuggets Symposium.
- Dr. Pramod Bhende was part of the organising team for Retina sessions and spoke on “Principles of management of pediatric retinal detachments” in “Surgical retina” session on 12th Sept. Dr. Muna Bhende was a part of the instruction course and spoke on “Atypical presentations of AMD and PCV”.
- In the Medical retina session – Current management updates, Dr. Rajiv Raman spoke on the topic: “Diabetic Macular Oedema” and Dr. Suganeswari Ganesan spoke on the topic: “Retinopathy of prematurity.”
The three-day conference was a first for TNOA as the hybrid conference with both virtual and physical participation had an impressive turnout. Around 800 ophthalmologists attended the conference virtually and another 200 doctors who attended the in-person sessions making this year’s conference a big success. Such hybrid conferences may be the future as suggested by the feedback.